Klook.com

6/28/19

Vlogging Gear Review: Fujifilm X-T100

Fujifilm have been making cameras and releasing models that caters to what users have been asking for in terms of features. If I'm not mistaken, the X-T100 is one of these models that aims to cater to the needs of a growing number of specific users which we know as Vloggers.

I've used a Fujifilm Camera before that are targetted towards Vloggers, which is the Fujifilm X-A3. 
While it does have the colors that I wanted, the lack of microphone input, the positioning of the Flip screen, and the painfully slow autofocus, made me switch to a different brand. 

I used it as a stills camera though, because it does produce amazing images. With this in mind, ALL IMAGES you'll see in this blog post is taken with the Fujifilm X-T100 with the 50mm F/2 lens :)

This blog post aims to give you a vlogger's review of the Fujifilm X-T100. Is it still a good buy for 2019?

You can watch a quick review of this camera here:

QUICK SPECS:

• 24MP APS-C CMOS sensor
  • ISO range of 100-51200 (fully expanded)
  • 91-point hybrid AF system
  • 2.36M-dot OLED electronic viewfinder
  • 3" touchscreen LCD can both tilt up/down and flip outward 180°
  • 6 fps continuous shooting (up to 26 JPEGs)
  • Film Simulation modes
  • 4K/15p and 1080/60p video
  • 4K Burst and Multi Focus modes
  • Wi-Fi + Bluetooth connectivity
  • Interchangeable grip
  • 430 shots/charge battery life (per CIPA rating)

WHAT I LIKED ABOUT THE X-T100

1) The flip screen position is "better" now. It can now be positioned on the side and can also be flipped in 3-ways. You can utilize it to frame your shot better and be your "monitor" while shooting a vlog. The ability to also flip it in different angles helps you get the shot in difficult situations.

The viewing experience needs a bit tweaking via the options though as sometimes light conditions make it difficult for you to view what's on the screen. 

2) It now has a microphone input jack. However, it uses a 2.5mm input jack instead of the normal 3.5mm jack. You would need an adapter if you'll be buying an after-market microphone. It is compatible with the Fujifilm ST-1 Microphone though.

Regarding the ST-1 Microphone, it does deliver a superb job for its size. Of course other factors like noise can still affect it, but the sound quality is similar to the RODE Video Micro. I might have to do a comparison video for that. hmm.. 

3) This Camera is super lightweight and compact. Weighing Approx. 448g / 15.8 oz. (including battery and memory card) combined with its thin profile, this camera is definitely a good travel camera as it will fit in your bag easily and you won't have a heavy bag too. 

Though almost all Fujifilm Cameras have a small profile, for my hands it is a bit too small. sometimes I fear that I might drop it. A good cage or grip can fix this issue though.

4) The Colors. Whenever I see photos or video from different camera brands, what captures my attention color-wise is the Fujifilm's output. For me, it has one of the best colors in the market in both video and photo. It produces this vibrant colors that pops up from the images. The sharpening in-camera is a bit too much at times though, but you can adjust it in the menu. You also capture great detail with this camera. 

5) The overall design of the camera, it is sleek, retro and very intuitive once you get used to which dials do what settings. The Electronic Viewfinder also is a great addition which also helps with any type of shoot. I love how it is stylish but functional in its own right.

WHAT I WISH THEY'D IMPROVE..

1) AUTOFOCUS. I've said this before with the X-A3 review, and I'll say it again. While I do think this is faster than the X-A3, however, it still doesn't fit my need for a faster autofocus. If you watched my video above, there are times that it is focus hunting. 

2) Changing Settings on the fly. I don't know why this isn't a thing in this model. The camera I'm currently using especially on full Manual Mode, can change settings on the fly. Whether it's ISO, Shutter Speed or Aperture. All of it can be changed during shoot. I think it's intuitive to have that ability in your cameras so you can adjust your exposure whenever light changes in your scenes.

3) Make the ST-1 a 3.5mm jack native and enable other users to buy other brands of microphones as they deem fit in their requirements. So as not to add additional cost of buying an adapter which can also affect audio if ever.

4) 4K 60FPS or at least 30FPS. No one shoots 4k 15fps guys.

FINAL THOUGHTS

This camera is definitely an entry-level camera that can certainly improve the quality of your videos and photos if you're just starting to invest on a camera for vlogging. With time, you'll get used to its features and settings and be a beast in using this camera. This is a good camera if you're not a serious videographer.  

For the cost of about Php 34,000+, this is good for beginners looking into having a good stills and video camera. Adding a few into the budget can get you the Fujifilm X-T20 though. But if you're tight on budget, you may just use the extra cash above 34k, to invest on lenses like a 35mm lens or a 50mm prime lens. 

There are lots of room to improve upon and I believe Fujifilm is taking on the challenge to be innovative at the same time listening to their customers. 

Hopefully, the next iteration can bring on better features and more improvements. :)

Post a Comment

Whatsapp Button works on Mobile Device only

Start typing and press Enter to search